Monday, May 26, 2014

Back to Real Life After a Two-Week Vacation

My wonderful two weeks in Europe came to an end on Sunday morning as my cousin drove us (my travel buddy and me) to the airport. After the 1.5 hour flight from Riga to Copenhagen, a ridiculously expensive and deliciously spicy chicken red curry lunch at the Copenhagen airport, and the long 8.5 trans-Atlantic flight (enough time to watch three movies and do some reading), I was back in the DC area. Today is Memorial Day, a federal holiday, so I was able to sleep in, spend some time unpacking, go grocery shopping, catch up with a few folks, and even enjoy a cookout in Rock Creek Park with friends.

Tomorrow will be my first day back to work, i.e. the real wake-up call about vacation being over. It will also be interesting to see how quickly or slowly I recover from jet lag, as it seems to be an growing problem for me. When I arrived in Latvia, it took quite a while to adjust to the seven hour time difference. The problem was certainly compounded by the early hour in which the sun rises at this time of year - currently the total hours of daylight in Latvia are 2,5 hours longer than in Washington!

The time I spent in Latvia and Lithuania was quite fantastic. I saw many beautiful and interesting places, spent time with relatives and old friends, and made some new friends. It will take a good while to write up blog posts about all of my adventures and pick out the best photographs (the good news is I found my camera shortly before beginning the trip) so I hope my regular readers (all eight of you!) will be patient. I plan to insert quite a bit of detail in order for the posts to be useful for other travelers, as there is not necessarily a huge amount of easily accessible information in English about many of the areas we visited.

In other words - stay tuned!


  1. Glad you made it back safe and sound and had a recovery day before work! Great to meet you!


I love having visitors, so let me know you stopped by!