Monday, December 16, 2013

Highlights of 2013

We all love lists nowadays, don't we?

Best novels read:
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. (Adelle Waldman)
  • Wonder (R.J. Palacio)
  • The Fault in Our Stars (John Green)
Latvian novel I wanted to like but could not even finish:
  • Latviesi ir Visur (Otto Ozols)
Loveliest state park visited:
  • Ricketts Glen State Park, Pennsylvania
    One of 17 waterfalls seen during the 3.2 mile hike in Ricketts Glen SP

 Best new (to me) city visited:
Best "finally crossing off my bucket list" places visited:
  • Yellowstone National Park
  • Grand Teton National Park
Sunrise in Grand Teton National Park.

Best family event attended:
  • Youngest niece's baptism
 Best non-family event attended:
  • Andra and Aleks' wedding
    Old Latvian summer high school classmates - Aleks in the middle was the one getting married
     
Most interesting and thought-provoking documentaries seen:
  • The Stories We Tell
  • Miss Representation (highly, highly recommended for everyone, especially those raising children; it's available on Netflix)
  Most off-the-beaten-path place visited:
  • Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho
 Best concert attended:
  • TRIO: Smite Karkle Cinkuss at the DC area Latvian Center
 Trip that deepened my waterfall obsession:
  • Shenandoah National Park, where two hikes included waterfalls
    Contemplating life at a waterfall in Shenandoah NP
    Best random find (although I cannot take credit for it):
  • Mesa Falls in the Targhee National Forest, Idaho
    Upper Falls of Mesa Falls (view of Lower Falls is far less impressive)


Best random adventure I can take credit for:
  • Visiting the Eastern Idaho State Fair 
New U.S. states visited:
  •  Idaho
  • Montana (although I definitely need to return to see more of it - particularly Glacier NP)
  • Wyoming
  • South Carolina (need to return to see Charleston and that side of the state)

2 comments:

  1. Ha, Latvieši ir visur falls under my "Latvian book I would most like to read but I have two kids and mostly do my reading in one-minute spurts". Glad you crossed SC off the list, and like your new layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book started off strongly, but then became too much of a lecture. I very much wanted to read the entire thing and like it, but that was not to be!

      Delete

I love having visitors, so let me know you stopped by!